Wednesday, April 16, 2008

PERFECT IMPERfECTION



Please bear with me as I try to get my thoughts and feelings into words. The idea of perfect imperfection has been in my head for a while and won't go away. So, I will blog about it to get it out of my head!!

I had been following the touching story of the Mack family on their blog. Their sweet little Kaden's brain was not developed enough to keep him alive without life support. He also had a bilateral cleft lip and pallet. He lived a very short one week life on this earth. Now his sweet perfect spirit is in celestial realms waiting for his family to return to him. My heart goes out to them. I know what it is like to have a child born with a severe birth defect. However, I can't imagine saying goodbye to an infant child. The Mack family did this with courageous faith.


Why is society in search of "perfect"? I know that my Evan doesn't have a perfect physical body, but I think his body is imperfectly perfect! He is just the way he is suppose to be. For that matter aren't we all. When babies are allowed to be born with little imperfect bodies we are allowed the opportunity to love unconditionally. Isn't that something the world needs...unconditional love?? I try to imagine an earthly world where we are all perfect. How boring would that be? How would we serve others? It is sad to me when I hear of people who think that lives such as Kaden's and Evan's are not worth living. I know deep within my heart they are worth living!!

Could it be that the imperfections of life are part of a perfect plan that help to draw us closer to God?

I found some great words from Elder Robert D. Hales a member of the Quorum of The Twelve Apostles.

"It is clear to me that we have imperfections of body, imperfections of mind and intellect—that we are not perfect. And for that reason we are dependent on others. We must be self-sufficient ourselves, but that does not mean independent of help of others. We cannot gain a testimony without having the help of the Holy Ghost.A just God has placed us here on the planet earth where we experience suffering and imperfection all around us. And this life and estate are necessary because in this life we experience something we cannot do any other place. The life we had before and the life we will have hereafter will leave our bodies, spirits, and minds in a more perfect state. But we did not and will not have the opportunities to give of ourselves in the same way as we can in this life. What a principle! As we suffer and serve in this life, we are fulfilling a very essential part of the gospel plan."

I love what he said!! Thank you Elder Hales!!


So, thanks for listening, I feel better now. I think I will go and find something imperfect to admire!!






3 comments:

SuperCoolMom said...

Amen! I know it's all part of God's plan. Every challenge our children present is meant to help them grow and give us the opportunity to learn something too. Whatever the challenge may be.

Laurel said...

Cindy, you have such a gentle yet powerful way of writing about the simple things in life, yet the very complex too. It gives us all a feeling of awe. I appreciate you! You are a special member of our extended family and I love you.

Cindy Price said...

Awe, thanks Laurel. Love ya!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...