Sunday, April 13, 2008

52 BLESSING PROJECT Week Three - Week Fifteen

FOOD



I am so blessed to live in a country where food is plentiful. I don't know what is is like not to have enough food in my house. Twice a week I volunteer at a local Christian Women's Food Ministry. This wonderful group of women gives food out to needy people five days a week for free. People can come twice a month to get food. All they need is a photo identification, no questions are asked.I help in the morning before the patrons come. Some of the food is purchased at a very reduced rate from the local food bank. Grocery stores donate their almost outdated food. We go through boxes and boxes of produce and throw out the yucky, moldy stuff and put the good stuff on the shelf. Actually we waste very little the, limpy lettuce and moldy tomatoes etc, go to feed pigs and goats.I'm so grateful never to have known true hunger.I'm also grateful for the opportunity I have to help those who are hungry. It's a wonderful blessing!!


5 comments:

SuperCoolMom said...

Oh, that's one of my very favorite blessings! (I like it a little too much :)

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Cindy, you continue to amaze me with your goodness.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Yes I too am grateful to have never known real hunger! Wonderful blessing. Good for you to serve!

Catherine said...

As usual, you've found something that seems elementary but is not in a great part of our world. And the worst : we forget it. On the TV news, this evening, the journalist mentioned more and more starvation and revolts in some countries. He said world will have to produce TWO TIMES of our actual food production in 2050 to feed 9 billion human beings!
We never have to fall asleep in the evening wondering if we would be able to find food the next day for our children. Thanks, Cindy, to remind us we're blessed for that. I'm often trying to make my children become aware of their chance. They so often waste!

Laurel said...

Thanks again for reminding us of the simple yet necessary part of life...food. Recently we have planted a good garden. Nathan wants to put the entire backyard into a garden...but he would not be here to hoe, till or tend to it. But wow...the prices of produce has soared right out of sight. We do indeed have a great deal to be grateful for in this country.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...