Saturday, January 14, 2017

A COOKIE CONFESSION

This post is the second in my DASH series for #52Stories.

I have a confession to make about something I did really wrong as a young girl!  I made cookies!! Oh, how I loved to make cookies.  Oatmeal raisin and chocolate chips were my favorite cookies to bake!  I was a dough eater too! Yummy! But that is NOT part of the confession.  


So, why, may you ask was it so wrong for me to bake cookies?  There was someone in my family who couldn't eat them because of type 2 diabetes. That person was my Dad. I would make these yummy cookies that would smell so good and be so tempting and then get mad at him for eating them!!  I did NOT realize at the time how hard it is to look at yummy, fresh out of the oven treats and resist them!  BUT. I. DO. NOW!

Fast forward fifty of so years, and guess who is dealing with type 2 diabetes?  Yep, that would be me!  I was diagnosed about 12 years ago and have tried hard to regulate my blood sugar with diet and exercise alone. And let me tell you it is HARD!  As I am getting older it is getting more difficult to control and I now realize how hard it is to resist all the myriad of yummy goodies that are out there. Even a little cheating is not an option for me anymore. I feel bad that I put all that temptation in front of my dad and just expected him to be strong and pass them by! I am definitely learning empathy for those that have to eat differently. 

I am also learning some new strategies in dealing with diabetes and am feeling empowered to take better control of what I put into my body. 
I just wish I could tell my Dad how sorry I am for putting temptations in his way.  Somehow, I think he would understand.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...