Sunday, January 20, 2008

52 BLESSING PROJECT, Week Three

WHEELS

When Evan was not even two years old, his physical therapist suggested getting him a wheelchair! We were afraid that if he started using a wheelchair he would never walk. We didn't want to give up on walking. But, then again, this child was unable to explore his environment very well except by
commando crawling. That was a concern for us. So, we borrow a wheelchair for a few days. I remember bringing it into the backyard and placing Evan in the chair. Off, he went across the yard. It was like the wheelchair was meant for him. He knew immediately how to use it!! Tears fell down my face as I watched with joy this little boy I loved with all my heart zip around with the wheelchair. Evan did walk a little starting at four years until twelve years old. Then it was just to much energy. Cruising in his wheelchair has always been his favorite mode of transportation!!
So, this week, I'm grateful for wheels. Wheels to roll instead of walk. Wheels
to explore the great big world out th
ere!! Wheels to play sports!! Wheels that are NOT confining, but give freedom!!
It's a great way to get around!!

5 comments:

Aprilyn said...

I've never seen that kind of wheelchair before (the one at the beach). It's cool! I'm glad Evan has wheels to help him get around and explore and enjoy the world! Evan rocks!! OooooooooooOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!!!!

onehm said...

This is a wonderful blessing!

(BTW, I found you through Cara!)

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

What a great blessing for Evan and for you! :)

Katie said...

Who is the girl in the video with Evan? She looks just like me.

Crissybug said...

It must have been a hard decision in the beginning, but you are right...it opened many doors for him. What a wonderful thing to have in order to help him enjoy life to its full potential!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...