Friday, February 1, 2008

Fabulous Friday's Forever Family Featuring...

My wonderful husband and sweetheart, Mike!! What I ever did to become so fortunate to find such a wonderful man in my life, I will never know!! Since it's Valentines month I decided I wanted to feature him today!! It will be part of his 14 days of Valentines surprise!!

Mike was the third son born to Gayle and Viola. A severe case of eczema as a youngster almost cost him his life when it became infected. Fortunately, he survived after many prayers from his mom.

We actually attended the same high school and were in the same Senior Literature class. He was however one of those brainy kids, and me....well, I was not!! We never even talked to each other in high school, but met at our all night graduation party at Disneyland. Mike graduated in the top ten of our class. At the time he was tired of school, and tired of living in the smoggy Los Angeles area. He packed up his bags and got a new set of problems by joining the Navy for six years.

We wrote lots of letters while he was in the service. We still have boxes filled with letters. I told my kids they can't read them until we have passed on. I mean it, you guys!! Anyway, we fell in love writing letters and we would date when he come home on leave. We got married three years into his Navy stint!! This year will be our 35th wedding anniversary.

Mike received nuclear power training in the Navy. He has a great job today because of that training even though he never went to college. One day when Mike was serving on the nuclear power submarine the USS Halibut. I came home from my job and was shocked to find Mike home with both hands bandaged. There was accident on the boat that created a fireball, a man caught fire and Mike helped to put out the fire with his own bare hands. He saved his life!! He received a special commendation. I was married to a true hero!!

After Mike's first experience out to sea I was surprised when he come home and said he was ready to start a family!! One thing he had noticed was the men who had families were the happiest! I could not have asked for a better father for our children.


Here are some of the qualities I appreciate in my husband. He has a great sense of humor, (but please don't encourage him). When the kids were little he would make up wonderful stories to tell them. We called them "Daddy Long Stories", they would go and on and on and sometimes put me and the kids to sleep!! He is honest and faithful. He has a great capacity for unconditional love. When I was going through breast cancer he was totally wonderful! I can't imagine myself married to anyone else. I love you, Mike!!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Nice pants! I would like to know where the letters are. Thanks.

Katie

Susan, Susie, Suz said...

Awww of the day, for sure!! This is such a sweet post, i will be back to read it again and again! Romance novels should be so dedicated to love.

Liz said...

Great post about Uncle Mike. I didn't know some of those things about him. Funny about the stories, because my Dad used to tell stories about "Daddy Long Legs and Too-Tall Tessy". They really must be brothers!??!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...