Sunday, October 19, 2008

52 Blessing Project- Week Forty-Two



THE SACRAMENT

The Sacrament is a holy priesthood ordinance that reminds us of the Savior's Atonement. During the Sacrament, we partake of bread and water. We do this to remember the flesh and blood Christ offered as a sacrifice for us. As we partake of the sacrament, we renew sacred covenants with Heavenly Father.

Today, I was in a rush as I left our home for Sacrament meeting. Consequently, I was a little, shall we say...grouchy. Does that ever happen to you? Once we got to church, it was just wonderful to able to sit in the chapel, take a few deep breaths, calm down and reflect on my life. The Sacrament is a time to quietly ponder, to repent, to think about the love and mercy of the Savior. It is overwhelming to the me, such love the Savior has for me, despite my weaknesses.

I am so grateful for the opportunity I have every week to partake of the Sacrament. It gives me such strength. Today's Sacrament hymn was "God Loved Us So He Sent His Son". The words were just what I needed to hear.

God loved us, so he sent his Son,
Christ Jesus, the atoning One,
To show us by the path he trod

The one and only way to God.

He came as man, though Son of God,
And bowed himself beneath the rod.
He died in holy innocence,
A broken law to recompense.

Oh, love effulgent, love divine!
What debt of gratitude is mine,
That in his off’ring I have part
And hold a place within his heart.

In word and deed he doth require
My will to his, like son to sire,
Be made to bend, and I, as son,
Learn conduct from the Holy One.

This sacrament doth represent
His blood and body for me spent.
Partaking now is deed for word
That I remember him, my Lord.

Text: Edward P. Kimball, 1882–1937


2 comments:

Laurel said...

Yes the Sacrament meeting in the chapel and the prelude can certainly calm a racing heart.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

What a blessing the sacrament is! Thank you for highlighting it! This post was like a talk-- good job.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...