Monday, March 13, 2017

A BERRY GOOD DAY!!



About 12 years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.  Thank you, Mom AND Dad, it's in my DNA!   I have been casually keeping an eye on it through the years.  Exercising and watching what I eat to control it without meds seemed to work for the most part.  For the last couple of years my A1C has been slowing getting higher and higher.  I was told over and over again that as you get older you will be unable to control this without medication.  I am very reluctant to add yet another med to the three I am currently taking to control blood pressure and cholesterol.   Well, in late November with an A1C of 7.1 (that comes out to about an average of a 157 blood sugar) , I asked my doctor to please refer me to a diabetic nutritionist!  She sent me see Kris Dilworth, who I actually saw when I was first diagnosed.  She spent almost an hour with me in January and gave me suggestions on how to eat better and take control of this disease.

She ordered me a new meter and I took to testing my blood sugar at least twice a day!  I thought I could cheat once in a while and one evening had a blood sugar of 215!!  Well, that scared me!  And, I decided then and there, no more cheating, I am taking this disease seriously.  Certain foods are just going to be poison to my body!!  I started eating a low carb, high fat diet or ketogenic diet! I know it sounds weird.

After two months, today I went back to see Kris and guess what?  The low carb/low fat diet totally worked for me.  My A1C was 6.0 which means an average of 125!  And, I lost weight!!  She said I made her day and she was impressed with my motivation!  Of course, I hugged her and thanked her for her help!!  Below is the little note that she sent home with me!



Sometimes, it is hard to eat this way. Especially, in social situations where high carb food is the norm and many times low carb foods and not available. That can be awkward at times. What is more important my health or being socially appropriate?  Besides there are lots of delicious low carb foods that can be easily made at home.  Have you ever had cauliflower pizza?  It is actually very good!  Yummy BERRIES are on the list along with DARK CHOCOLATE!  What more could you need?

I only have one body!  I know that high blood sugar can cause damage to nerves and kidneys and eye sight and on and on!  So, I am going to keep on moving and eating healthy for me!  The support of my family has been very appreciated.


1 comment:

writermom said...

Very proud of you, Cindy, you're an inspiration!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...